Last April I wrote about how some of our friends and I had decided to form a sort of advocacy group called the Silly Hats & Baseball Caps. Well we’ve been meeting for breakfast every Tuesday Morning since then and have we been busy!
With Bob’s surgery and all, I am way behind in filling you in on what we’ve been up to. But it is high time I start sharing some of the things we’ve accomplished!
- First of all we have shortened our name to “Silly Hats & Caps”!
- We have a purpose:
We are trying to make a difference
While having fun
and finding a Cure for Diabetes
- We have a face book page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Silly-Hats-Caps/230127823715355 We would love for you to “like us”!
- We hosted our First Annual Garden Party http://wp.me/p1qABL-iT
- We organized and held our First Annual Peanut Butter & Jelly Golf Tournament http://wp.me/p1qABL-hD
- We held a bowling get together for family and friends with diabetes http://wp.me/p1qABL-ko
- We have made 40 centerpieces for the JDRF Walk Kick Off Luncheon (and are also using a version of them as “leave behinds” for the JDRF Promise to Remember Me meetings with our congressmen http://bit.ly/GA8DWj
- All of us Silly Hats got together for a wonderful Holiday Party
- We met at the beach for a little exercise and a great lunch on the Pier
- We collected favorite recipes from family, friends and JDRF Advocates and put together a Cook Book that we are selling with all proceeds going to JDRF!
- Our local chapter did a write up on us in their monthly newspaper. You can check it out here: http://wp.me/p1qABL-iH
- We volunteer at health fairs and other events sharing about JDRF and the need for a cure for Diabetes
In the next few days I hope to get you all caught up with more of the details of some of these things we have done!
I have to tell you that not only have we, as a group, accomplished so many things, it is wonderful to be able to meet every week with friends and know that you can laugh and cry and hug and share with others just because!! Just like the DOC, but in person!
When Bob was in the hospital…they were all there, right by our side, laughing, chatting, and praying! We are eternally grateful for our wonderful SILLY HATS & CAPS!